The Framland Bell

Details inscribed on the Framland Bell (see a picture below)

PRESENTED TO REV. C. H. LACON, M.A. by the SOCIETY OF FRAMLAND RINGERS as a token of esteem and recognition of his valuable services as Secretary for the past 10 years – 1888/1898.

John Taylor & Co.
Loughborough

 Excerpts from the Society Minutes Book:- 1899

The Secretary, Rev. F.E. Nugee (Vicar of Croxton Kerrial) , in a short address referred to Mr Lacon’s departure and to the great interest which he had always taken in the Society, and to the interesting testimonial which had been presented to him by members of the Society.

Excerpts from Minutes Book:- 1955

The 69th Annual meeting of the Society was held at Waltham-on-the-Wolds on Saturday, 7th May 1955 it being eighty years since the Society was founded at Waltham.
At the business meeting, Mr W. Smith, Chairman, informed the meeting that the inscribed bell and stand on view had been discovered in an antique shop in Ipswich and had been purchased by the secretary, Mr F.J.Williams, who felt this should, if members agreed, become the property of the Society as it was presented by the Society in 1898 to a past secretary in recognition of his ten years service in that office, and he would ask for a proposition that this be purchased. Mr C. Matthews proposed and Mr H. Christian seconding that the bell be purchased by the Society. This was agreed. The secretary suggested that the bell should remain for one year in the church where the annual meeting was held but asked for further suggestions. Canon Clarke, (Melton Mowbray) thought that this was a good idea and that movement of the bell should be recorded each year in the minute book and that it be insured against loss and be placed in the custody of the Vicar and Churchwardens together with the tower captain. An amendment that, as the Society was founded at Waltham, the bell should be placed in Waltham Church was proposed by Rev. A.G.L. Lancaster (Waltham), seconded Mr J. Day. After further discussion it was agreed that it should remain at Waltham for the present. The purchase price of the bell was £6-0s-0d plus 12/6d (12.5p) carriage.

Excerpts from Minutes Book:- 1968

The Annual meeting was held at Melton Mowbray on Saturday, 4th May 1968 “The Framland Bell” The Rev. G. H. Codrington (Melton Mowbray) suggested that this bell should be handed over to the receiving Incumbent by one of the Society’s Officials during the service. This is now done at the service preceding the May half-yearly meeting and the bell remains in the church at which the meeting is held.

The Framland Bell

The Framland Bell

Advertisements

%d bloggers like this: